Pearls from day 2 of Objective-C study
In no particular order:
- They didn't have books like Aaron Hillegass' magnificent Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Big Nerd Ranch Guides) the last time I tried to learn something about coding. What an improvement.
- C syntax and data structures are similar to Pascal, which I learned once.
- Obj-C objects are fairly similar to Java objects, which I learned about once.
- In fact, I kind of feel like Obj C == (Pascal + Java) / memory-management.
- There are three distinct things a dude needs to learn about:
- I have books for all of them this time.
- I wish I'd known that back in 2003.
- Because I was ready to write a Java program and I totally got stuck on Interface Builder.
- I wish I'd kept fighting with it. I was so close.
- Xcode 2012 (4.5, I think?) is really, really slick. It is teaching me as much as anything else.
- Programming is fun again.